The InSire TalentScan gives more insight into the heritability of your young animals and more certainty about their genetic qualities. It is an innovative tool to scan by yourself the most promising animals of your herd on their talents.
InSire Talentscan is a tool for every farmer who wants to know what is the stage of the hereditary qualities of the female animals on his farm. On the basis of an advanced marker test, with a 10k chip, the scan shows literally the talents of the animals. The test shows results in the field of sustainability, health, fertility, production and conformation. InSire TalentScan can be used for both female young stock and dairy cows. The distributor sends hair-containers to famers who have to take hair samples and put that in these hair-containers. After 4-5 weeks the result is known and you will receive a NVI breeding value for the tested animals.
Pedigree information is not necessary, but will increase reliability of the total genomic breeding value. Important is that all pedigree and animal data is formulated according to the Interbull format f.e. NLDF00123456789).
- The hairs should preferably be pulled from the poll. It is also possible to pull the long hairs from the ears. You can use a pair of pliers for this. Make sure you pull out a sufficient quantity of hairs. The hair sample should contain about 100 hairs; this is a bundle of hair the size of a pencil or pen. The hair roots of young calves contain less DNA than those of adult animals. Therefore more hairs are needed from young animals for analysis. It is important that the hairs are dry and as clean as possible.
- When the animals can’t be fastened to the feed fence and a hair sample from the poll is not possible, a hair sample can be collected from the tail switch. Take a bundle of hair the size of a pencil or pen (about 100 hairs) from the tail switch and wind it around your finger. Then pull it out of the tail of the animal with a firm tug. If the tail is very dirty, it should be cleaned and dried first.
- Put the whole hairs (with the hair roots) in the plastic bag; the hairs must not be cut.
- Write the exact and complete unique live number of the animal on the plastic bag.
- Put the plastic bag in the supplied business reply envelope and return it to your CRV representative or CRV distributor.